Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I'm afraid that I just blue(berried) myself

I’ve been experimenting with ice cream a bit lately.  I’ve upgraded the motor and power supply on my ice cream churn (pictures to come eventually), allowing more air to be churned into the mixture, as well as a larger volume to be produced.  But blueberries are finally on sale, so I decided to give blueberry ice cream a go.  My latest attempt used a custardy base and blueberries for a flavoring.

Custard's Last Stand


1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup half&half
4 egg yolks
125 g turbinado
2/3 cup blueberries

The cream and half&half were simmered for about 20 minutes, then allowed to cool for a bit.  The eggs yolks were beaten until they grew a spine and stiffened up.  The sugar was whisked in, then the cream mixture slowly tempered in.  This was all returned to the saucepan, and slowly heated to 175 F (total heating time about 30-40 minutes.) 

Slowly heating up the mixture

After the mixture reached 175 F, the heat was killed and it cooled to room temperature (stirring it occasionally helped avoid a "skin" forming on the surface which has happened in previous ice cream attempts.)  After it reached room temperature, I placed it in the refrigerator to chill out for about 5 hours, then pulled it out and readied the blueberries.
Almost time to make some ice cream

I used a garlic press to add about 2/3 cup of blueberries to the mix.  It wasn't initially very blue, so I was worried it might not be blueberried enough.  But after a few hours in the ice cream churn, the finished product was quite purple and had almost a perfect blueberry flavor to it.
Finished blueberry ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment